Australian Sunflower Association
Formed in 1976, the objectives of the Australian Sunflower Association are to:
- Promote the Australian Sunflower Industry
- Assist in organising seminars and workshops
- Foster sunflower research and extension
- Coordinate and work with other similar industry associations, both domestically and internationally.
The Australian Sunflower Association acts as a voice for all sectors of the industry and assists growers to capitalise on new developments and opportunities. The ASA aims to develop grower confidence in all sunflower types through high yields and sunflowers' contribution to more profitable farming systems.
Key activities and publications undertaken and supported by the ASA include:
- The Better Sunflowers website for all agronomy resources and information.
- The Australian Summer Grains Conference.
- The 2013-2018 Australian Sunflower Industry Strategic Plan.
- Annually updated Sunflower Marketing Guide for Growers.
- A partner in the Australian Broadleaf Cropping Alliance, a Grains Research Development Corporation funded joint initiative between the Australian Oilseeds Federation and Pulse Australia.
- Nationally accredited training in partnership with Tocal NSW DPI for sunflower advisers and industry members.
- Quarterly Better Sunflowers eNewsletter.
Membership of the ASA consists of growers, researchers and personnel from all facets of the industry. These include the seed industry, crushing, refining, manufacturing, merchandising organisations and private agronomic advisers.
ASA Committee (correct July 2014)
|Kevin Charlesworth||Chair Australian Sunflower Association; Grower, Clifton|
|Loretta Serafin||Deputy Chair; Leader Northern Dryland Cropping Systems, NSW DPI, Tamworth|
|Nick Goddard||Executive Director, Australian Oilseeds Federation, Sydney|
|Sue Thompson||Sunflower Pathology Researcher, DAFF Qld, Toowoomba|
|Maree Crawford||Technical Services Manager (Northern Zone), Elders, Toowoomba|
|Belinda Chase||Agronomist, Dalby Rural Supplies, Dalby|
|Tony Lockrey||Consultant, Buy Smart Ag Consulting, Moree|
|Chris Haire||Seed Breeder, Nuseed, Toowoomba|
|Paul McIntosh||Agronomist, Landmark, Toowoomba|
|James Urquhart||Australian Specialty Business Manager, AWB, Melbourne|
|Roland Hornick||Grower, Orion via Springsure|
|Scott Whiteman||Chief Financial Officer, Riverina Oils & BioEnergy Pty Ltd, Wagga Wagga|
To contact the Australian Sunflower Association, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Left to Right: ASA Committee members Paul McIntosh, Maree Crawford, Loretta Serafin, Chris Haire, Kevin Charlesworth, Sue Thompson, Liz Alexander, Tony Lockery launch the Australian Sunflower Industry Strategic Plan with the Queensland Minister for Agriculture, Hon. John McVeigh MP